deepa dosaja is the pioneer in luxury, sustainable fashion in africa. since inception the company has had a gradual expansion and increase in full time employees, who are a core asset in the company’s vision for further growth. the deepa dosaja label embodies beauty with a conscious. the brand only uses natural fabrics such as silk, bamboo, cotton, linens and is constantly looking for new innovative fabrics which have a low impact on the environment. the team at deepa dosaja are prides themselves in ensuring the highest levels of customer service and quality consciousness.
deepa dosaja provides a bespoke made to measure service as well as an off the rack collection. inspiration behind deepa’s work is drawn from nature and the abundance of colours therein as well as acceptance of an ethical obligation towards the environment. this is reflected in her collections and business through the use of only natural fabrics and abstinence from using any harmful or environmentally unfriendly products. her boutique is a paradise of sinewy fabrics carrying a wide and fine selection of natural fabrics – silk, wool, linen and cottons. deepa dosaja also exclusively designs her own line of luxurious stretch silk prints.
in 2015 deepa was honored to have world renowned oscar winner lupita nyong'o wear a deepa dosaja outfit during her visit to kenya
deepa’s clientele is widespread from costa rica to toronto , nairobi to accra, mumbai to beijing. providing for the stylish, confident and international women, deepa conceives elegant designs that are discerning and sophisticated. she has an innate capability to develop various styles, forms and silhouettes, and enjoys working with a variety of prints, textures and her trademark hand painted and embroidered floral designs. she strives to ensure that the style, the cut, the attention to detail and finishing must always flatter the feminine silhouette. each of her lines embodies a singular uniqueness that sets them apart.
in between growing her career, deepa alongside her husband ajay have been graced with three wonderful children.
with a view to further enhance its brand profile, in 2013 deepa dosaja joined the awep african women’s entrepreneurship programme. deepa was also the 2013 winner of africa’s most influential women in business and government – industries sector. deepa dosaja has played an influential role in shaping the kenyan fashion landscape – and its image.
the innovation deepa brings to her designs has brought abundant recognition from numerous sources.
deepa dosaja has firmly established herself as a leading kenyan designer in africa.
- 1991 – winner smirnoff kenya fashion awards
- 2000 – established vabene couture
- 1997 – sole designer and joint organiser with the german embassy in a highly successful fashion event to raise funds for a street children rehabilitation project.
- 2003 – kenya fashion week. showcased alongside leading african fashion designer alphadi. as a result of this fashion week, deepa was selected to present her line at festival international de la mode africaine (fima), in niamey, niger.
- 2010 – wear it international fashion show, johannesburg, south africa
- 2013 – winner in the industries sector, most influential woman (miw) kenya. ref: www.miw.co.za
- 2013 – london festival for african fashion & art
- 2013 – opening of the deepa dosaja flagship store . formation of deepa dosaja ltd & the deepa dosaja brand
- 2015 – dressed oscar winner lupita nyong'o on her homecoming tour
- 2016 – celebrated 25 years of fashion in africa
- 2016 – launched diffusion line kayaja
- 2017 – presented "my flowers" collection at studio 450 during new york fashion week
- 2018 - was selected as the kenyan designer to showcase at buckingham palace for the launch of the commonwealth fashion exchange, during london fashion week. this initiative is supported by eco-age, swarovski, matchesfashion.com and the woolmark company. (http://eco-age.com/commonwealth-fashion-exchange/)
- 2018 - showcased at the blue economy conference in nairobi
- 2018 - fashion designer of the year - asian weekly tawaa awards
- 2019 - sustainable fashion panelist and showcased united nation environment assembly